Thursday, April 6, 2023

I AM Giving

Two years ago, on March 31, Dan lost a co-worker and friend to a workplace accident.  It has been a tough go for the family, as well as the crew who worked along side him.  Last year they held a car show, in his honor, that was organized and put on by the guys that knew him, and which was supported by the company.  It has grown into a family event that they intend to put on every year.  Bouncy castles, large equipment rides, BBQ, door prizes, etc, etc.  And any proceeds that are collected are donated to various charities in Ryan's name.  This years is set to take place June 24.

Being that Ryan was very important to Dan, I wanted to do something to help.  But without interfering or stepping on toes.  And so I decided to attempt to make some bracelets and pendants, like I did for the Kwan Yin Healing project we organized for Sihing Kohut.  They had developed a logo of sorts for Ryan, based on a tattoo he had, and had made stickers and magnets to give away at the car show.  I reproduced that logo into a stamp, and imprinted that into the pieces.  And I think they turned out really well.  Dan took them to his work and gave them out to whomever wanted one.  He also made sure that one made it to Ryan's wife.  I was overwhelmed to discover that she has not taken it off since she got it, and she has requested more for other family and friends.  I'm told the list continues to get longer and longer.  Of course they are offering to pay.  But that wasn't the point of doing this in the first place, and I have no intention for this gesture to become about financial gain.  So I have another batch going into the kiln this weekend, and will continue to make more for whomever wants one.

It feels good to be able to give people something they can use to connect with someone they’ve lost, and to each other.  And I feel humbled to know that I have the ability to do so.

5 comments:

  1. Generosity, integrity and selfless service. Beautiful act of kindness in honoring the life. Thanks for sharing. Giving feels SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! And the pendants and bracelets look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a heartfelt, amazing gesture. They look fantastic, thank you for being you.

    ReplyDelete