Saturday, April 8, 2023

The Most Needed

Although not proud of it, I found myself trying to think of reasons to cancel my 1-on-1 this morning.  Thankfully they remained only thoughts.

I made a commitment to myself long ago that I would never cancel a 1-on-1 for egocentric reasons.  I also promised I would book regularly, in advance, regardless of whether I had a topic of discussion or not.  So far I've kept those promises.

When I'm on...all cylinders firing...my 1-on-1s are more like check-ins.  Positive, light hearted talks where I can clarify some things...double check certain techniques...get some feedback on whatever I've been working on.  Sometimes we make some really big "discoveries".  Sometimes not.  Either way, all really great discussions.  These are confirmations that I am on the right path.

On occasion, I get to that 1-on-1 either not having a plan for discussion, or feeling a bit embarrassed because I realize that I haven't really done much.  But more often than not, these are the 1-on-1 ones that end up being the most helpful.  The discussion develops organically, and as long as I remain true and honest, we tend to go a little deeper.  These are the ones where I leave with much needed clarity and with a true feeling of improvement.  They are confirmations that, although things might be unclear, I most certainly have the ability to get back on the right path. And these are the 1-on-1s that I need the most.

We have many tools that we can utilize for accountability.  But out of any of them, it is my 1-on-1's that regularly and steadfastly, hold me accountable and force me to look deeper at what I'm doing...or what I'm not doing.

This blog is just another reminder to always book my 1-on-1's and always keep my 1-on-1's.

2 comments: