Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Not My Fave

Sparring is not my favourite.   There’s too much going on and I can’t keep it all straight.  It doesn’t make sense to me.  It’s not organized.  I will even find myself all tangled up with my hands and arms exactly where I don’t want them. Usually meaning my face is wide open.

But there was still an excellent takeaway from tonight.  After Sihing mentioned that the major difference he was seeing with the black belts was that they were much more patient…calmer moving…always waiting for an opportunity…I decided to try that approach.  Which worked out well because my next opponent was Sihing N. Csillag…who, to me, always seems so calm and collected.  So instead of immediately going on the offensive, I tried to stay calm and wait a bit.  I tried to focus more on observing rather than feeling like I needed to constantly be launching a strike.  I spent a little more time watching them…trying to notice the smallest movements that might give something away.  Essentially I was attempting to recognize a strike coming at me, in order to refine my blocking.  And I think I actually made a few! Because realistically, if I can’t block anything, I’m done.  But if I CAN block an attack, that at least gives me a fighting chance.  In theory anyways.

1 comment:

  1. The thing with sparring is you have to do lots of it to get better at it.

    ReplyDelete