Friday, April 28, 2023

Right Across The Board

I spent some time working with Sifu Brinker last night.  We were focused on the kicking section of my form.  This section has definitely mushed together.  The momentum of my weapon was pulling me into my next move.  Meaning I was not finishing my technique…meaning my next technique was weak right from the start.  And so I wasn't really accomplishing anything in this sequence.  All of these things he touched on at the end of class.

And so moving forward, I’m going to really focus on the following in this sequence,

Solidify my stance.  I need to be grounded and firm if I want to maximize my striking power.  And although in this sequence my front leg has most of the weight (essentially this is a bow stance), it's my back leg that requires my attention.  That's the one that will ground me and keep me solid so that I’m not fighting my weapon.

One technique at a time.  This concept seems to be a theme for me right now.  I've been noticing all over the place that I am too eager to move on.  Always thinking about what's coming next.  The strike preceding needs to be strong and complete…I need to release that energy, even when I might feel it’s not happening fast enough.  If it don’t, the next technique doesn’t stand a chance.  Faster doesn’t mean better.

And although there is a particular section of my form that I’m working on, these things certainly apply across the board.

1 comment:

  1. You need to look in control of the weapon not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete