Monday, April 24, 2023

Finish The Move You’re On

When I notice things people are doing, or not doing, in the level 1 class (or in the kids classes for that matter), I always try to pay more attention to these same things in myself.  Today I noticed one of the students with a very loose hand for their jab.  Essentially open.  So I pointed out to them, for the purpose of this drill (and I recognize there can always be exceptions), that the jab should be an actual solid punch.  Hopefully you get them with it, but if not, you have the reverse following.

And so I wanted to pay attention to this in myself when we were running through the same drill.  And wouldn’t you know it, my fist was loose as well!  Not full on open, but not fully tight either.

This tells me that I’m not committing to that punch.  That I’m already thinking about the reverse.  And that I need to commit to that jab with the intent of landing it.

“Finish the move you’re on” - Sifu Dennis

This also tells me that sometimes it’s often easier to see the details by watching rather than doing.

1 comment:

  1. It is the same for lots of our techniques. The first move is designed to end it, and if not you move onto number 2 with the same mentality in mind. this is the end.

    ReplyDelete