Wednesday, April 12, 2023

I AM [always] Learning

Wednesdays are typically really good learning days.  Tai Chi, Adult Level 1 and then my own class.  Three huge opportunities for learning.  Plus the 3 mini sections in between these classes when I have access to instructors and other students.  Tonight was no exception.  

There were all kinds of learning moments that went through my mind tonight.  It felt like at every turn I was thinking, “oh…I have to write that down later.”   Unfortunately, here I am finally making some notes, and many of these learning moments have already fleeted away.  Hopefully these will come back to me more easily the next time.  But either way, a few have stuck, which I will record here for reference in order to perhaps expand on them later.  For tonight, they are are just thoughts.

In Tai Chi I learned that if we know how to move our body, and if we know how to move our energy, our end technique can realistically be whatever we need it to be in that exact moment. This thought sort of relates to how a black belt can change their intent a 100 times in a very short period of time.  I hope I can expand on this later.  If not, it’s a seed for now.

Through my Kwan Dao, I’m starting to really recognize how important it is for techniques to flow.  To make a sentence, rather than just. A. Bunch. Of words.  The Kwan Dao isn’t easy to maneuver.  And so if there is any break at all in the flow, it’s very noticeable.  Not only that, but it takes a huge amount of energy to redirect it back to where I need it to be.

With my partner I learned that we need to trust ourselves, and each other, a little bit more.  At this stage in the game we can be a little more assertive, a little more aggressive.  We have a basic amount of control and knowledge and I think we’re capable of pushing just a little bit more so that we can take many of these techniques to the next level.

And I learned that you can breathe through your feet.

1 comment:

  1. Foot breathing, mmm, I might need a breath mint.

    ReplyDelete