Sunday, April 23, 2023

Awesome

There is a spot in my Kwan Dao form that is really challenging me.  Okay...more than one...but this one in particular.  

It's a part where I do a big circular strike upwards with my Kwan Dao....immediately followed by a kick while I also simultaneously pull the Kwan Dao back into my body. This happens on both sides.  And I’m also switching to my left hand on the one side.  And I have to adjust my hands pretty quickly to get both the extension and avoid lodging the blade into the ground.  Now that I write this out…this is a pretty complicated sequence.  

As this sequence has morphed and evolved, I’ve also had to make adjustments to the kick. Things had become much more circular, and the linear front thrust just wasn't working.  I tried it with a roundhouse, which seems alot better, but that turned my body a bit more than I wanted.  And so now I've somewhat settled on what I'm calling an "open front thrust".   This kick sort of just happened while trying to work WITH my weapon, rather than against it.

This sequence is likely going to take all year to master.  It’s certainly not easy.  And it challenges me on pretty much every level.   And it’s gonna be awesome.   

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff here if a person is trying to figure out energy and the roll momentum plays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious to see how this turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete