Sunday, March 5, 2023

The Rotating Title Of "The Worst"

It's funny how we are the "worst" at something, until we aren't.

When I first started drumming, I feared Thunder Drumming.  I referred to it as being the part I was the "worst" at.  That was only until 5-star entered my repertoire.  Then I felt like the Thunder Drumming wasn't as bad anymore, and the 5-star took over the title of "worst".  Then I spent time on my 5-star, and started to get the hang of it more...developed both some skill and confidence.  And once again, my Thunder Drumming was my "worst" again.

And I see this happen in all areas.  Kicks...forms....anything really.  We focus on our "worst" so it's not our worst anymore.....but something else takes its place.  Something has to be the worst...and something has to be the best.  And if those titles always seem to be rotating....switching from one thing to the other...I think that's a pretty good sign of both balance and advancement.

3 comments:

  1. Your posting is dead on. Worst and best is where mastery flourishes. In-between is the domain of mediocrity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I don't mind referring to my spinning back kicks as "terrible" and that they "suck". I know it is just temporary (I hope) and that if I keep working on them they should improve. Then I'll work on the next thing, skill set, that's "terrible"... until it's not.

    ReplyDelete