Tuesday, March 7, 2023

I AM Curious

I took a page out of Sihing Burke's playbook this morning and did my Tai Chi Short Form with my eyes closed. It was horrendous!!! My balance was the biggest issue. I couldn't even pivot with both feet on the ground without feeling off balance. Nevermind when I had to lift one leg up. One inch off the ground and I was wobbling and falling over. In fact, I was feeling really dizzy and disoriented by the end.

I don't truly know why I found this so hard. But I almost felt like because I took away my sense of sight, my other senses almost shot out, in an attempt to compensate for that loss. But they went out reactively, in a panic, without any control. And ultimately I kept pulling myself out of my center.

I'm going to try this again moving forward on a regular basis. I think this might be a really good exercise in maintaining my center and staying grounded. Once (if) I establish that, then I might try playing with my other senses more, still with my eyes closed, but in a controlled way. Or perhaps I'll stumble upon something completely different that explains it all.

I have no idea if this is anything relevant to anything. But ideas pop into my head all the time and I like to just run with them and test them out. I like to follow my thoughts.  Learn things.  Figure things out.  Solve problems.  Think outside the box.  Make discoveries.  All of these things...because I AM Curious

I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. – Albert Einstein

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! It definitely helps to put a spotlight on things you don’t realize are happening like coming out of your center like you described. A few weeks ago I was doing my double broadsword form in the dark and it didn’t mess with my balance as much as closing my eyes but the darkness shifts my focus from what I look like on the outside to how I’m feeling on the inside

    ReplyDelete
  2. This exercise will be good as it will force you to ground yourself before you transition to the next move and hopefully to stay grounded while you transition. Pause, sink down internally (physically too if needed) then move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the cliche that when we remove one sense, the others become more acute - in full view. Our balance and orientation are tuned to fit our environment. Once you take vision out of the equation, things change. Unfortunately when things change a reflex response is RESIST.

    You know how to move with balance. You know the feeling. When your sight is taken away, do not resist. Prioritize the feeling (not the fear of change) and your body will respond intelligently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say this is something to keep working on for sure.

    ReplyDelete