Monday, March 13, 2023

The “Natural” Break Fall


I find backwards break falls really difficult when we do them in a drill format.  I can never seem to get the timing right.  They feel very awkward and un-natural and I have to really think about them. But when someone is actually throwing me, it’s completely different.  Any time I’ve worked with anyone that was practicing any sort of throw or take down, the break fall just happens naturally. My body just does what it’s supposed to do in that moment.  My mind doesn’t overthink it.  It just reacts.

Hmmm.  A thought just popped into my brain.  I’m wondering now if this “natural” instinct for a break fall in a more realistic situation has actually developed from all the practice in these drills…and maybe isn’t all that natural after all.  Even though I don’t feel that I’m doing them quite the same in our drills, that doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t the same ones.  Or that, at the very least, their practice is the reason I can do them in a more realistic situation at all.  Perhaps it’s simply the realism of the throw or attack that gives them that extra flow that I’m feeling.

Well isn’t that interesting. Lol. 

1 comment: