Thursday, March 9, 2023

And Again, And Again

Things have really been lighting up with my Short Form over the last while.  I had learned the whole thing, and was starting to really cement the sequence through repetition.  It was feeling pretty decent.  And now, through both feedback and my own findings and discoveries, I'm seeing lots of areas that need to be adjusted and re-worked.  All kinds of spots are popping up that I'm realizing I'm not doing correctly…and haven’t been for a long time.  Lots of areas where I'm sort of starting over.

I could look at this a couple of different ways.  On one hand I could be discouraged that I'm having to "start over" with things.  I could feel disappointed that I thought I knew something, only to discover I don't.  I could feel like I've wasted a bunch of time doing something "wrong" all this time.

Or I could view this all as the normal process towards mastery.

I've improved physically, and I've improved mentally.  And sometimes that will mean that the way I've been doing certain things suddenly no longer fits.  It means that I can be doing it better.  Often this progression will happen naturally, without even seeing or noticing it.  But sometimes, we'll just get a random thought that says “hang on...this doesn't feel right anymore".

And I don't think that's an indicator that I'm doing something wrong...but rather an indicator that I've been doing something right.  It's telling me that something needs to be re-evaluated and adjusted to suit the progression I've made.  That whatever I’ve been doing is no longer good enough.

Surprisingly, I don’t feel worried that this has happened.  Even more surprisingly, I feel somewhat at peace because I know it will happen again.

4 comments:

  1. Mastery at work here! I feel like these are some big Aha moments. And some excellent insights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great attitude that recognizes that sometimes to move further forward, you may have to retrace some of your steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The day that you don’t find something that feels off or not right anymore is the day you know mediocrity has crept in. Moving forwards means you have to leave the spot you’re at and change things. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is just another step on the way to mastery.

    ReplyDelete