Thursday, May 18, 2023

I Hope It Sticks

The last couple of classes we’ve been focussing on sparring again.  Some free-style sparring…and then some point sparring in preparation for the Tiger Challenge.

Although I wouldn’t say I’ve gotten much better in terms of skill…I did find myself surprised by one thing.  For some reason, I’ve been feeling much calmer.  Both in body and in mind.  

Maybe it’s because I’ve been hit so many times now that it’s an expectation, rather than a surprise. And so it doesn’t hold a lot of power over me anymore.  Or maybe I’ve done it a few times now so it’s just getting to be a familiar feeling.  Or maybe I’ve actually been able to finally apply the biggest rule of self defence…”stay calm”. 

I really don’t know.  But either way, this change was very noticeable to me.  And I hope it’s something that stays.

1 comment:

  1. The only way to get better at sparring is to do it with people who are there to help you learn is the key.

    ReplyDelete