Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Troubleshooting In Distress

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday during the wrist escape portion of class.  Often we run through organized escape drills with very specific instructions and steps.  Last night, we had the opportunity to "troubleshoot" a little bit on our own.  And it was quite eye opening with how far I've come.

I recall as an orange belt trying to free myself from Sihing Csillag and I couldn’t.  Last night the basic “same side” wrist escape came easier and I was able to free myself fairly quickly from both Sihing Csillag and Sihing Lindstrom.  So progress with the technique part for sure.  However, they then added being pulled around to the scenario.  This made things harder.  There’s more happening, and therefore, more cause for panic and confusion. I knew I could get out, but the distress was preventing me from seeing the solution.  I was attempting to use the techniques I knew, but Sihing Csillag was just too strong.  I found myself able to calm down and apply some rational thought.  So I grabbed my fist with my free hand, and added a bit more strength to the escape technique.  And bam, I was free.  This is definite progress for me.  Yes I was in a safe environment the entire time.  But I can still see the difference from the panic I felt as an orange belt, to having the ability to act somewhat rationally now.  

Granted, this portion of class ended with me in a headlock by Sihing Lindstrom…so obviously still lots of work to do.  But I’m still seeing these little bits of progress that prove to me that this is starting to sink in.

No comments:

Post a Comment