Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Learn It, Then Re-Learn It Better

Over the last few days, I've been working on doing my Tai Chi with purpose...with intent.  

Some feedback I recently received was that, often-times, with Tai Chi, we forget that there is application in there.  It tends to be so slow moving that we become lost in the flow of movement and energy (it can become very meditative and relaxing) and we tend to forget about the purpose.  I admit that this is what I was doing.

Since making this mental shift, I am seeing and feeling all kinds of different things that were previously un-noticed.  Much of it I haven't sorted through yet, but there was one very obvious connection made in last nights' class.  As we worked on the "overhead forearm block/palm strike", I realized that this is almost an exact replica of a couple of moves in both the Tai Chi Long and Short forms called "Fair Lady At The Shuttle" and "Rising From The Sea".  And I only made this connection because of the extra focus I've been putting into my Tai Chi.  By working to both establish my intent and keep it pure in my Tai Chi form, I was able to recognize that technique for what it was and then was able to make the connection between Tai Chi and Lao Gar.  And what was even cooler, was that upon realizing this, I took it a step further.  I can see and understand that I am much more aware of the way I utilize my energy and apply it in my Tai Chi form than in Lao Gar, or any of the other external forms.  But when I made the connection between the two techniques, not only did I replicate the external physical movements, but also the internal energy application as well....albeit faster.  And that whole technique in Lao Gar suddenly felt alive to me.  And I just realized while writing this that this is a prime example of "intent-chi" and then "chi-strength" as part of the six harmonies.  Lol.

I now realize that I've been practicing my Tai Chi as strictly internal...and my Kung Fu forms as predominantly external...but really, they are both BOTH.

So here I am, re-learning all kinds of things.  But I suppose that's the natural progression of things.  Learn it.  And then when ready, re-learn it a bit better.

3 comments:

  1. Your application of intent with your Tai Chi is taking what used to be a purely qigong exercise and balanced it with neigong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question for you, which you probably already know the answer too. Why was Tai Chi developed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I've ever learned the history formally..but my best guess would be that it was developed as a means to focus on utilizing the mind and body as a whole...down to the most minute details of movement and energy. So perhaps a style of martial arts that slows everything down in order to truly utilize the 6 harmonies? And if so...perhaps I'm just finally understanding the whole purpose of Tai Chi? lol

      Delete