Saturday, February 18, 2023

Hand In Hand

Just this morning, I learned the remainder of the Tai Chi Short Form. This is my IHC form, and although the year is supposed to be spent mastering our form, I'm fairly certain that 1000 reps will only scratch the surface....if that.

I started Tai Chi in March of 2020....only a few months after I started Kung Fu, in fact. So I've been doing Tai Chi for basically as long as I've been doing Kung Fu...which is interesting to think about. 

My Tai Chi has certainly supported my Kung Fu in ways that are clearly recognizable.  I've made specific connections and even attempted to transfer some of the things I've discovered in Tai Chi to my Kung Fu...and vice versa.  But I'm also fairly certain that there are other benefits that aren't as clear...ones that I simply take for granted...ones that I'm not even aware of because my Tai Chi and Kung Fu are so closely linked and because they simply go hand in hand...and they have from the beginning. They compliment each other in such a way that I'm really not sure what my Kung Fu would be like without my Tai Chi.  I doubt at this point if I could even do one without the other.  It would be akin to cutting off a limb.  

So although I don't intend to test the theory, it's still really interesting to think about.

1 comment: