Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Pumping Iron

Tonight was a kick heavy class.  So I felt a bit ridiculous at times just pumping my iron.  I wish there was a good way to modify.  I’ve attempted kicking a little bit from my scooter.  The biggest challenge is stability and I’ll be in BIG trouble if I take a spill.  And I can’t pivot or anything.  But I suppose I could still work on foot position?  Maybe from the ground somehow?  If anyone has any ideas, lay ‘em on me.

It’s funny how suddenly now that I CAN’T kick, I WANT to.  But like a typical human, I bet this desire will change the moment I can again.

So once I’ve recovered, I want everyone to remind me just how much I wanted to practice kicks.  And then make me.

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure what your mobility is like as I haven’t been able to watch classes, but if you are able to be on the ground, I have done sitting kicks in warm-up a few times and quite enjoy them for working on technique. It is difficult to work on planted foot position with these kicks, but they provide a good opportunity to work on your kicking foot positioning without worrying about balance. The core three kicks we practice can be done sitting as followed (kicking hand refers to the same hand as the leg you are kicking with, non kicking hand refers to the opposite);

    Front thrust: Simply sitting with your feet in front of you. Can use hands for guard or to brace yourself, depending as needed. Non-kicking foot can also be stretched out on the ground and used to brace. Focus mostly on the ball of your foot as you kick.

    Side heel: Can be done from the same sitting position. Better to use your non-kicking hand to brace on the ground while the kicking hand remains in guard. Have your non kicking leg stretched out, and role onto it (as much as possible) while you kick to work on hip engagement. Focus on the heel and blading the foot. This can also be done laying on your side (drop kick position), although I prefer sitting straight for the sake of the hip engagement.

    Roundhouse: This one works best on your side (drop kick position). Use your non kicking hand and leg to brace along the ground, and focus on the three point position. Kicking hand should be in guard.

    Again, these may not be very applicable depending on your condition (and you may have figured them out already), but I hope they help a little bit :)
    ~ Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is excellent Sihing! Thankyou. I will give these a shot.

      Delete