Friday, June 16, 2023

If Nothing Else


This evening I found myself becoming increasingly frustrated with the limitations of my scooter.  As handy as it is, it certainly isn’t the same as walking on two feet.  I think I’ve gotten a small (very small) glimpse into the lives of those that require mobility aids and equipment on a permanent basis.  I can understand some of the challenges they face daily, simply to get around.  There are the obvious things like curbs and stairs.  But I now see other “hidden” challenges like large transitions in doorways, limited space in aisles, cracks in pavement or even just rocks on sidewalks.  Not to mention the challenge with how much more time it takes me to maneuver from point A to point B.  And heaven forbid I forget something in the first trip.  

If I learn nothing else during this, I have most definitely developed a greater empathy for anyone with reduced mobility.  This will be something I watch for in future so I can do whatever possible to make their travels easier…or, if assistance is not needed, I will at least be cognizant in not adding to their challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I remember one class a few years ago where we first immobilized an arm, then did forms. Next it was a leg, next it was blindfolded. Then it was communicating without words. It was truly eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then there was the class where Sifu Rybak had the obstacle course set up and we paired up and yelled instructions to each other to simulate what autism can be like. That was also very tough be extremely enlightening.

    ReplyDelete