Saturday, July 15, 2023

A Forward Setback

Leading up to being able to weight-bare in my boot, I was looking forward to being able to move around more, getting back to forms and jumping back into other physical aspects of my training.

I was wrong.  Things I thought I'd be able to start doing with the boot, will not yet be happening.  I'm excruciatingly slow.  I still do not have any real movement in that leg, except for just stepping forward in a linear fashion.  Turning and pivoting are still a no go.  And obviously in actually using this foot for the first time in 6 weeks and after going through major trauma, there is discomfort and minor pain.  Except for swelling, which I was able to manage, there was no pain or discomfort using the scooter.  Everything I had finally figured out with the scooter, is now obsolete and I now have to figure out how to modify with the boot instead, which brings a completely new set of challenges to work around.

And it dawned on me that this same thing will likely re-occur once I'm cleared to start walking without the boot.

Then when I'm cleared to begin higher impact activities.

Then...

Then...

At each stage, I will have to shift and adapt to my new circumstances.  I think it's finally starting to sink in how many steps, turns, dodges, weaves, jumps and crawls there actually are when recovering from a physical setback.  But at the same time, I also think I'm starting to see that regardless of the type of movement, they are all in a forward direction.

One absolute positive with the boot is that I can integrate better into classes and in teaching.  I might be slower, but I have better access and can better interact with the students.

Even a setback is moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment