Tuesday, January 24, 2023

My Kwan Dao

I have begun training with my Kwan Dao.  Now that I'm really swinging it around, I can see already that this is going to be a very difficult weapon to master.  It's long, heavy and unbalanced and can easily become out of control.  Any disconnect between upper/lower, left/right...or any of the 6 harmonies for that matter, and it begins to control me.  Add any bit of momentum to its size and weight, and if I'm even slightly out of my center, I'm chasing it.  Any bit of over extension, or handling it even somewhat off balance...and my shoulders scream.  Errors or missteps are magnified a thousand times.  There is no forgiveness with the Kwan Dao...no middle ground.

Yet I find myself eager and excited.  Every challenge I've listed above, if I can overcome it, is also going to be an essential asset to my overall training.  There is no way around it, this weapon is going to force me to develop proper posture, keep my shoulders down and maintain my center.  It's going to make strength training a necessity.  I will have no choice but to keep my eye for detail open...always looking.  It will demand that my 6 harmonies come together....that I always proceed with intent and mindfulness.

Although this weapon and I are currently at odds...fighting with each other...each of us trying to establish control...I feel that we will become good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment