Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Numbers Are Hard

I have tracked, recorded and publicly posted my IHC requirements diligently since joining the team last year.

Initially, I was under the impression that sharing my numbers was required.  However, I continued posting my numbers each month, even once I discovered it was not.  I found it to be a valuable tool for staying on track, staying motivated and keeping myself accountable.

I use an app that typically keeps me on track day to day.  As I near the end of each month, I become more and more aware of where my numbers are.  If I'm behind in something, that commitment I've made to publicly share my numbers typically gives me the boost I need to get my butt in gear.  If I can at all avoid being in a deficit for my monthly posting, I will.  Just the other day, I saw I had let my sparring numbers get a little behind.  Sparring is my most difficult requirement.  But on February 28, when I looked at that red -14.5 next to that requirement, I buckled down and worked my butt off for 15 minutes of hard sparring work.  It was tough, but it was good, and I was back on track.  Knowing that I would be sharing that number with the team is what motivated me to do that.  If it were just me, it would have been very easy to tell myself I'd catch up later...and then not.

Sharing my numbers, or my progress with any of my goals really, has been a huge factor in my overall success.  And I question what might happen if I were to stop.  If I don't share them, will I still care as much?  I know that sounds like a terrible attitude, but I'm not sure I would.  If I fell behind, and I was the only one that really knew, would it even matter?  Maybe I should rephrase.  Yes it would still matter.  But would it have the same influence on me, my motivation and my progress?  I don't think it would.

If I'm not recording my numbers, they aren't really happening.

If I'm not sharing my numbers, they aren't having the same effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment