Thursday, March 31, 2022

I AM Engaged

I'm going to share a funny story today.

A while back I found myself in a conversation with Ms Csillag at one of our IHC classes.  I can't remember the conversation exactly....it was something about "old people".  During this conversation I did the "raise the roof" arm pump.  She was gracious enough to tell me that this particular movement, in fact, made ME old.  Don't get me wrong!!  She did this very kindly...although I'm 100% certain she was laughing behind that mask.  But I can't blame her.

And so imagine my excitement when my 9 year old daughter taught me something that all the young kids do now.  I was pumped to show this new skill off to Ms Csillag at my next opportunity.

Me:  "Check this out Ms Csillag!"
Ms Csillag: watching with amusement
Me: "This is called Dapping!" - performs movement
Ms Csillag: tearing up with laughter...."I need to get that image out of my brain!"
Me:  confused..."Why??  Is this not a thing?"
Ms Csillag:  walks away trying to control her laughter

Okay.  So turns out that it's not called "dapping"...but instead "daBBing".  And I did more of a Hussain Bolt celebration than anything else.  Also turns out this has been a thing since 2015...it might even be untrendy by this point.

Why do I tell you this story?  I don't know...mostly for a laugh I suppose.

But it also got me thinking about engagement.  And how there are so many different ways to engage.  Kwoon Talk.  Challenges,  Events.  One on ones.  Etc.  But engagement, for me, goes even further.  Developing personal relationships with my team-mates and engaging beyond Kung Fu can take things to a whole new level.  Developing that comradery is what truly makes me feel part of a team.

Engagement can't happen alone.  Engagement only happens when you interact with others.  And every act of engagement has potential.  Potential to inspire...to motivate...to teach...to incite change...or maybe even just to make someone laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment