Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Maintenance Mode

Well, Covid finally got me.

I am currently isolating at home.  My training has required some serious adjustments.   I am mostly confined to my bedroom, and so I am missing the luxury of my training area.  And my main symptom seems to be fatigue and body aches.  I attempted to do some sparring the other day, and found myself winded after only a couple of minutes.

However, I'm still managing to keep up with my numbers by gearing down to maintenance mode.

I am focusing on smaller sections of my forms that I can complete in full (without running into a wall or bed), and am working on smaller details within those sections.  I'll do each section 3-4 times and by the end I've got my 3-4 full form repetitions for the day.

I am using this time to work on my opening bow.  Plenty of room for that.

I'm using my confined space to really keep my stick nice and tight to my body.  In the instances where I intend for my stick to extend out, I'm developing awareness of my surroundings in order to utilize the space I have for maximum effect of the strike or block.  Not ideal for the form itself, but still beneficial in developing spatial awareness.

I'm doing my pushup and situp reps in smaller bunches as to not overexert myself.  I was initially worried I wouldn't be able to keep up, but sets of 10-20 add up quickly throughout the day.

My body is extra tired, and so I've slowed down and am doing alot of slower, low intensity reps.  Lots of value here still.  I'm noticing alot with my foot movements and with recognizing those precise moments where energy is released.  I'm also working on harmony and establishing those moments where everything finishes together.

The one area that is suffering is my sparring because of my lack of stamina at present.  But it just popped into my head that the 1-step, 2-step and 3-step patterns could be an option.  I'll give those a go today.

No mind blowing accomplishments this week.  But I think I'm managing to maintain everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment