Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Little By Little

I find myself noticing the finer details recently; in my forms, techniques, applications, everywhere really.

"Wait...something's not quite right..." or "I think this could be better..." will suddenly pop into my head.

Unfortunately, when this happens, it tends to take up most of my training time....and I'm left with many other things undone.  But, assuming I can figure out what my internal voice is trying to tell me, it can also be very productive....so I normally roll with it.

Da Mu Hsing, "Flexible Hip with Hidden Distance" - as I rotated my hips, I was also lifting up.  Almost a bounce.  It was enough that each time I rotated, I had to re-ground myself again.  And I didn't think this was totally necessary.  After making some adjustments, and even though my feet are pivoting, I realized I could maintain my center and remain grounded throughout this whole sequence rather than it be so choppy.  I can also now feel the force coming from my hips (lower half) into my upper half, really launching those punches and counters.  It almost seems like my energy builds up to that last punch.

Stick Form - there are 3 spots in this form where we pull back into a cat with a vertical stick (hiding), and then strike forward horizontally.  I noticed that my strike had an upward arc to it.  I've been doing it this way from the start, but I found myself thinking that this couldn't be the most effective way to strike.  I tend to think that it would have greater impact if it went straight into my target...for this type of strike anyways.  I made a small adjustment so that I now level my stick horizontally prior to striking, without sacrificing the flow.  I'm also finding that it lends more momentum to the strike.

Front Thrust Kick - I've really been experimenting with this kick.  The Front Thrust would probably be my strongest kick at this stage in the game, so I like to "see what happens" when I do certain things.  Most recently I've been trying to really drive this kick forward...experimenting with my range.  In doing this, I will compensate slightly by leaning my upper body back....elongating somewhat.  My kick itself, remains strong....and I think I've been successful in achieving a little bit more range.  But the other day I realized I was feeling a bit off balance coming back into my bow stance.  Once I analyzed a bit, I discovered that I was still leaning back when going back into my bow stance.  I was falling back rather than being in control.  I adjusted by ensuring that while pulling my kick back into a crane, I was also straightening that lean and re-centering over my hips.  By doing so I was, once again, able come back into my bow in a controlled way.

Those are a few examples of what I've noticed recently.  But I'm always re-working, re-thinking, re-adjusting.....so I reserve the right to change my mind on any of this stuff as I progress. 😂😂

1 comment: