Saturday, January 2, 2021

Better Than Nothing

As is the norm with pretty much all of us, I've been struggling with some injuries.  Nothing serious keeping me on the couch....but some that have prevented me from practicing my kicks, specifically.  I'm the type that will try and "push through" a minor injury until it eventually goes away, but something currently tells me I need to back off.  So I have been trying to let things heal, while moving my efforts to other areas of my training where these ailments don't seem to be bothered too much.

It's funny (not funny) though.  Being that I CAN'T practice my kicks right now, I just really, really WANT to.  I think about them all the time....obsessively almost.  And there is some anxiety that once I get back to normal, any progress I had made previously, will have disappeared.  So I find myself practicing my kicks in my mind.  Running through the mechanics.  Literally doing "reps" like I would physically.  Really driving into my head what I should be doing to, where I'm driving the kick from, the timing, the pivot, the release of energy, my intent....all of it.  There are also still some small things that I can do even when just sitting at my desk....flexing my foot as if throwing a front thrust...practicing my blade...small things like that.  I don't know if it's helping anything...or if it will keep me from losing the physical progress I've made....but it makes me feel a little better to be doing something at least.  I feel like something, however small, and even if it's just in my head, is still better than nothing.

1 comment:

  1. You are spot on with this. Never stop training. If you cannot do it physically, do it in your head, under your desk, in your dreams. Time is finite so we cannot let something like an injury get in the way.

    ReplyDelete