Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Desiderata

There is a poem that would hang in my aunts kitchen.  Some of you may be familiar with it.  For those that are not, I’ve included it below. It was there before I was born.  And it still hangs there today.  Even as a small child, I remember being drawn to it.  I couldn’t really tell you why.  I’m not sure I ever truly understood the words.  But it was so obviously important to me that, about 20 years ago, my aunt eventually had a copy printed and framed for me.  I kept it with me through many moves and many life changes, and it now hangs in my kitchen, just as the original hangs in my aunts. 

It has been a very long time since I read it in its entirety.  Very long....years.....and the words all but forgotten.  But tonight, for some reason, I stopped and read it in full.  And tears came to my eyes.  A huge feeling of euphoria came over me.  I have carried these words with me for almost my whole life, never truly understanding them, but somehow knowing they were important for me.  And today, they suddenly make sense.  I’m where I’m supposed to be and I’m doing what I’m supposed do. 


1 comment:

  1. I too grew up with this in my home. It now hangs in my daughter's bedroom.

    ReplyDelete