Wednesday, June 15, 2022

I AM a Student

Just yesterday I had my first opportunity at leading a Tiny Tigers class.  These classes can often be challenging for various reasons.  The biggest being that the kids in this age group have copious amounts of energy, but haven't yet developed the skill to regulate that energy nor reign in their focus.  For the time being, it's the job of the instructors to provide the tools and support to help them get there.  So typically, by the end of a class, I find myself wondering why I feel like I just took a ride on a dragon through a hurricane.  Both exciting and terrifying depending on how you look at it.

Having said that, I think my first attempt went pretty well.  I went with a circuit theme where we had 5 different activity stations.  I wanted to keep them moving and excited, so we spent 1 minute at each, trying to do as many reps as we could.  From what I could see, everyone stayed mostly engaged and appeared happy with the activities and the pace.  Nobody booed or threw things at me, so I'll take that as a win.

Although this first class went well, I know they won't always be like that.  I am going to need to learn to pivot on a dime.  Change gears when needed.  Or ask for help when things are really going downhill.  All valuable skills that I can apply to my own training, and my life, as well.

Planning and preparation can certainly go a long way.  But, my greatest resource as an instructor will be these kids.  The more I can read their cues, the better I will be able to adapt to their needs.  Ultimately teaching is just another way to be a student.

And I look forward to more opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment