Monday, June 20, 2022

The Almost "Bonehead" Decision

I've been working on a large number of different things recently.  So many, in fact, that I started feeling like I needed to remove something to gain a little more breathing room.  As I assessed all the various commitments I have, I found myself considering taking a step back from Tai Chi and not signing up for the next session.  At first glance it looked to be the "easiest" thing to cut.

Thank goodness this thought only lasted a few minutes and didn't get any serious traction.

Why would I cut something that provides so much benefit?  Why would I cut something that actually provides calm and stability to my life?  Something that keeps me grounded and centered?  These benefits flow into all the other areas of my life, and would certainly have an adverse affect if removed.

As I thought on this more, I came to truly realize the importance of my Tai Chi, and any of my internal work for that matter, including my meditation, mindfulness and chi healing practice.

Often, when I feel behind, I will forgo my internal work and put my focus on my physical numbers.  I think the reasoning is that I have committed to those numbers in a more formal capacity, and so the internal work is the easy thing to cut, since I'm not really accountable to anyone for it.  The days I do this tend to be mediocre days.  And it gets worse and worse the more days I miss in a row.  When I don't do any of my internal practice, I end up feeling as though everything else is lacking...as if I haven't accomplished anything at all.  Even though I might be staying up with my numbers, the effort behind them and the quality seem sub par.  Yet when I ensure that meditation, tai chi or my other chi work is incorporated into my day, everything else seems to take care of itself.

Is this coincidence?  No, I don't think so.

We were asked, not long ago, what our "go to" is to initiate momentum for our training.  What do we do that seems to support and supplement everything else down the line?

For me it's my internal work.  Tai Chi, meditation or my chi healing is what seems to drive the rest.  

If I ensure I include this in my day, everything else seems to flow without effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment