Thursday, June 16, 2022

Kung Fu'ing My Kids Part 7 of...

My kids have both been practicing Kung Fu for over 2 years now.  For much of that, there has been crying, complaining, fighting and arguing that they did not want to go.  Oftentimes, once they got there, they enjoyed it.  Other times, not so much.  But to me it was simple.  My job was to get them there.  The rest was up to them.  Either way they went.

Then suddenly, just the other day, it dawned on me that there has not been any fighting for quite some time.  Kung Fu has shifted from chore, to simply a part of their lives.  A good part.  They happily get their things ready on Kung Fu days.  They have developed relationships with their instructors and class mates.  They look forward to their one on ones and even want to attend open training.  I don't know exactly when things shifted, and it took time and effort to get there, but they did.  

Now I'm under no false pretenses that this is the end of all opposition.  It will most definitely not be all rainbows and unicorns going forward.  I am 100% certain the day will come when the resistance picks up again.  But I will be ready to throw the gloves back on when that time comes.

As a parent, I've seen too much growth in both of them to not recognize the value of Kung Fu in their lives.  As a martial artist, I've seen the growth in myself, and know what more it will have to offer them in the future.  As an instructor I've had the privilege of seeing the positive changes in every single kid that walks through that door, and recognize that potential for my kids as well.

And so as exhausting and tiresome as it has been, and will likely be again in the future, I see too much value to give in.  But for now, I will enjoy the peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment