Friday, October 8, 2021

Surrounded

On my way home from our team meeting last night I made some pretty cool (I think anyways!) connections.

I realized that with each of the amazing things that have happened for me this week, both were because of the people I am surrounded by.

"The first step to mastery is the removal of everything in your environment that represents mediocrity, removing those things that are limiting.  One way is to surround yourself with friends who ask more of you than you do." - Stewart Emery

And I realized that the key word here is "surround".  And I think this is exactly what Sifu Brinker was getting at when he said "If you're struggling, I want you front and center."  

I never saw myself as being withdrawn at all.  But I realized that withdrawing doesn't necessarily need to happen in full to be harmful.  When I keep quiet about something...when I push something to the back of my thoughts and pretend it's not there (ie. my box jumps...or the fact that I've felt something missing for a while)...that IS withdrawing.  That's me sitting on the sidelines where nobody can recognize that I'm struggling with something.  Where I, often, don't even recognize I'm struggling with something.  

I've previously recognized the value in sharing...in blogging...in staying engaged.  But this week shone some new light on even more advantages.  Not only are these things beneficial to my personal improvement and to my ability to reflect and grow, but they are integral to keeping myself surrounded by the people that are going to continually inspire me and challenge me and push me towards mastery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment