Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Fine Tuning

Slowly but surely I am fine-tuning my knife form more and more.

There is a sequence where I stab my opponent and then drive the blade in further with my knee.  Or at least that's what I'm supposed to be doing.  This portion has always seemed weaker than it should...even a bit awkward.  Like it was more flourish than anything else and it didn't really seem to make sense.  It's just always felt odd.

Then yesterday, after doing it a few times I finally realized what I've been doing wrong.  After I stab, instead of driving my knee forward into the knife, I have essentially been pulling my knife back into my knee!  That makes no sense!  Why would I do that?  That would have no effect at all in an actual application.  The point is to drive the blade further into my opponent....not pull the blade free and then give myself a charlie horse.  

This realization, and subsequent adjustment, has made all the difference in this sequence.

But I'm still shaking my head that I didn't notice this before.  😂

I'm going to keep this in my mind moving forward with other forms and applications and ask myself,

Am I just running through a movement?  Or am I executing a genuine technique?

No comments:

Post a Comment