Thursday, January 6, 2022

A Moment of Clarity

Last night on my way to class, I found myself approaching a vehicle in the ditch.  Hazards were on, and I could see exhaust, so I made the assumption that someone was still inside the vehicle.  I was in my van, so I knew I wouldn't be much help getting this person out, but I still felt compelled to stop and at least ensure they were okay and had help on the way.  In this weather, if a person found themselves without gas and/or heat, they'd be in trouble pretty quick.

The driver turned out to be a young girl.  She was okay and she did have her mom coming.  But they did not have a secondary vehicle capable of pulling her out.  She thanked me for stopping and she seemed confident that she would be okay.  Before I drove away, I decided to put out a message to a local Facebook group, to see if anyone with a truck and tow rope might be in the area, and was feeling helpful.  I had 2 people respond within minutes and she was out by the time I got to class.  These people were so kind and generous to head out into the cold and help a complete stranger.

What struck me most in this scenario was that, not only were the people directly involved impacted.....the girl that received the help and those that pulled her out....but also those that witnessed or heard about it.  Many people commented and/or acknowledged the posting in a positive way and I could sense how people felt inspired by the event.  And I suddenly became aware, and could see very clearly, just how many people can potentially be affected by one single act.

Acts of good will aren't isolated to only those directly involved.  Acts of good will aren't just linear....one leading to one more, leading to one more.  A single act of kindness will actually radiate out exponentially, impacting everyone in it's wake.  And so I found myself in this moment of clarity….understanding much more clearly, just how powerful a simple, single act of kindness can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment