Monday, January 24, 2022

Thay - 1926-2022

Thich Nhat Hanh passed away on January 22, 2022.

For those of you that followed his teachings, I'd be more accurate to say that he has continued on.

I have followed his teachings now for a couple of years.  Unfortunately, I have only known him through his past recordings and books, since a stroke in 2014 left him unable to speak and continue teaching, as he had.  Nonetheless, he has had a huge influence on my approach to many things.  

One of my requirements this past year has been to listen to his dharma talks on a weekly basis.  His approach, his way with words, his voice, his smile, his gentle spirit, his sense of humour...you can't help but be drawn in...even through a screen.  It was like he spoke right to you and you'd end up feeling just a little lighter, a little happier and as though things were just a little more clear.

My most favourite sessions are his questions and answers.  More specifically the childrens' questions.  The kids always seem to ask the most direct and straight forward types of questions...and I always love his approach.  I typically get more out of the kids' questions than the adults'.  And I think Thay understood that...and it was why the kids' portion was always so important to him.

The one that has resonated with me the most was when a child asked "what happens when you die?".  I recall the attendees chuckling at such a big question coming from a young child.  But the way he answered struck deep with me. 

"...when you look up at the blue sky you don’t see your cloud anymore. And you might say ‘Oh, my cloud has died’. In fact it hasn’t died....A cloud can never die. A cloud cannot become nothing. A cloud can become the snow, the rain, the ice...it can become my tea...but a cloud can never die..."

From this teaching also came my most favourite of his quotes "There is a cloud in your tea" and is what inspired my children's book.

I find that I am not sad about his death.  Yes, it is a sad thing, for sure.  And I feel sad for all of those that followed him and that are suffering from his death.  I feel sad for the world.  He did everything he could in the time that he had to make this world a better place.  But a teacher can only teach for so long.  At some point we need to become teachers ourselves.  I don't think he could have lived a better life, and for that I am happy.

I will forever and always think of him when I drink tea.......he is now the cloud....and that thought makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment