Thursday, January 6, 2022

A Good Walloping

Free sparring.  Shadow boxing.  Ugh.  I really struggle with this.

Now this isn't for lack of trying.  I'm actually on target with my sparring numbers.  The problem is that I just don't have any "real world" experience.  I have never actually sparred.  So I have no frame of reference.  And because of that, I have a really hard time envisioning an opponent coming at me.  I can't seem to relate to what it would actually be like.  And therefore, I really struggle trying to play out a scenario in my training.

My rounds end up being very specific planned out combinations, done over and over again, often mimicking those that we do in class.  Alternatively, I will do repetitions of the 1, 2 and 3 step sparring sequences.  But the moment I attempt to "free style" my brain just stutters, or stalls altogether.  If I was actually in a situation where I had to think on the fly, I'm fairly certain I'd be on the ground in about 3 seconds....more likely 2....fine!....1.

I will continue doing what I can.  But I honestly don't think I'll see much in terms of improvement until I actually have the opportunity to spar.  And I think I trash talk too much so I feel like there might be a line-up once the time comes.  Ah well.  Nothing like getting walloped over and over to learn how to not get walloped.

No comments:

Post a Comment