Wednesday, October 5, 2022

The 5 Second Rule

The 5 second rule...no...not for food.  Although it applies there as well....after a quick dog hair check of course.

I've been working from home this week, so this sort of came to be of it's own accord.  I found that, while sitting at my desk, or taking a break, I would suddenly think "I should do some pushups...or a form rep...or, or , or...".  I quickly came to realize that if I didn't actually do it the very moment I thought about it, it sadly only took a few seconds to convince myself otherwise.

After missing these opportunities a few times over, I started to just jump on it. I began to grab that small bit of motivation the moment it appeared, mentally stopping my train of thought before it sabotaged itself, and just did whatever came to mind.  Often times right where I was, rather than even allowing myself to walk through the house and go down to my training area...because surprisingly there are actually many distractions along that short trip.  And there's really no reason why I can't do a few things wherever I might be standing.  Even better was that more often than not, 10 pushups turned into 20....and maybe even into some situps too.

And so this week, the 5 second rule has found new meaning.  The moment I'm inspired to do a bit of training, I now find myself thinking "5 second rule" rather than a million excuses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment