Saturday, October 1, 2022

I AM...a Teacher


I've recently been given some more opportunities as an instructor with the kids' classes.  A couple weeks ago, I started leading the Young Dragons Level 1 & 2 classes on Thursday nights in a more permanent capacity.  

Although excited to be taking this on, it also brought about some feelings of inadequacy.  My physical skill level isn't all that much higher than these kids.  And I had doubts as to whether I was an ideal candidate.  There had to be more qualified people.

I decided to embrace the trust I have in my own instructors. There must be a reason why they felt I could do this.  Their number 1 priority is always the students...and so I doubt they would put someone in front of them, teaching, if they didn't see value.  There must be something of value that I bring to the table.

And so, instead of focusing on my physical shortcomings as a student, I started to think about the qualities I have as a teacher.

I have an ability to break things down into it's most basic components, and am able to explain them.  I am organized and creative.  I have a fairly decent understanding of most forms and techniques for this class level.  I have developed, or at least started to develop, a decent eye for detail.  

But more so, I have realized that I seem to have a knack for making connections with these kids.  And I think I've developed some pretty good relationships with the majority.  I can read them pretty good, knowing when to keep throwing more at them, and knowing when to pull back.  I am happy and willing to adjust my methods or direction based on their needs.

There have been a few times where I've called upon my fellow instructors to demo certain things, knowing that my own ability at present isn't quite at a demonstration level yet.  I don't want to NOT teach something in class, just because I can't do it.  I don't want to hold these kids back from their full potential because I'm scared to demo something.  Or because I'm scared to admit my weaknesses.  Ego aside, I have a personal desire to see each and every one of them succeed.   And my ability to do that has nothing to do with my own personal physical skill level.

As a teacher I don't need to be able to do everything perfectly.  I don't need to know everything.  I need to recognize what a student needs and then find a way to get them there.

I AM a Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment