Saturday, January 27, 2024

My Internal Monologue

I drummed my very first public lion dance today at the Stony Plain Library.  It went well I think.  But I give credit to the incredible team of lions and Buddha I had with me. 

It’s proving hard to describe the experience in a formal fashion and keep it true to how it felt, so instead I think I will share the inner monologue that occurred.  I want to remember all these things that went through my mind and what better way than in a blog.

To give some context,  the lions were led into the library by the Buddha while I drummed. Once they got in, Sifu Brinker was to give a bit of an intro before we did the actual dance.

There’s the signal.  Let’s go.

[7 star drumming commences]

Hm.   Why doesn’t it sound as loud as normal?  Am I hitting the right spot?...yup....is it because the floor is different?....I don’t know.  Just nevermind!  You’re gonna get distracted. 

They’re looking really good!  Audience is loving them so far.

Hmmm...they’re dancing for quite a while here.  Is this right?  Did I miss something?

Uh oh.  Did Sifu just give me a look from around the bookcase?  Was that a nod?  Was that “good job” or does he want me to close?  I thought they were supposed to actually lay down and then I’d close?? Oh man.  Now I’m not sure.  I’m gonna keep going for a bit.  I’m sure he’ll look at me again more aggressively if he wants me to close.

Yup.  There’s the look!  No mistaking that one.  😬 Ok. Let’s close.

[insert Sifu’s presentation here]

Okay.  They’re ready.  Starting the wake-up.  Don’t forget the pauses!

Going good so far.  Why are my legs shaking?  We’ve barely started.  Nerves?  I wanna stretch out more but my foot is caught in the corner of this bookcase. Damnit I should have moved the drum more.  Pay attention!  Forget your legs!  They’ll be fine!

Oh shit.  Was that the salute??  Damn it.  I’m not sure!!  I’ll keep going.  Noa’s still dancing so I’ll assume it’s not for now.

SHIT! Was that it again!  Omg pay attention Malinda!  Hmm.  I think they’re kinda stalling out in the middle here.  Seems like they’re waiting.  Oh man I don’t wanna do the waves if they’re not.....

[DO THE WAVE!...whispered from behind me]

Oh shit.  That’s Sifu  Brinker.  Okay those were for sure salutes then.  Let’s do this!  Into the wave we go!

Boom, click, boom-boom, click....hey my 5 star ain’t sounding too bad today...boom, click. boom-boom....

Okay.  Lettuce is down.  Let’s close.

Ready for the stalking.  Don’t forget the pauses.

This is going ok I think.  

Ahahaha...I love how Shira is pushing Noa away.  Too funny.

I need to work on my softer 8 counts.  They sound terrible.  Hopefully nobody else notices.

These kids are starting to crowd me.  Did someone just step on my heel?

Okay...1 more toss.....damnit...those kids ran in.  I can’t start the last toss with them all there.  Can Shira and Noa see them?  No idea.  I’m holding.   I don’t want anyone getting run over.

 Okay, most of them are out.  I see a couple more starting to come in so I better get going before they do!!

Boom! Final toss is done.  Final stretch!

[free-style 7 star]

This is going well!  Crowd is loving all of them. 

Okay.  Maintain the trill.  Volley.  Good.  Stack.  Darn!  Ok stack again.  I can’t see now!  Do they have the banner??  Uh oh.  Oh wait.  Aviva is moving away.  They must have it.  Ok.  Close quick.  Shit I was too late!  I gotta do another round.  Rrrrrrr. Ok close.  Sorry Sihing 😬 (for context...there may or may not have been a small threat regarding this part and me taking too long.

Okay.  Back to freestyling.

Oh wait.  Here comes Noa.  Squish over!  The kids wanna come in closer.  Ugh, who put this bookcase here??

Yup!  There’s the head toss!  Oh shit. I don’t think I drummed properly.  Oh well.  We’re closing.

Bow 1...good.

Bow 2...good.

Bow 3....done!  Wooo!

Ow.  My ankles are sore.  And my legs hurt.  And I’m hungry.

I shouldn’t have worn a sweater.

I feel great.

2 comments:

  1. Haha thank you for the internal experience as well😆😍, you sounded great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dialogue. Sounds similar to the thoughts going through my mind frequently. Lol

    ReplyDelete