Monday, January 22, 2024

Whoopsies

IT happened. I dropped my drum stick.

Yesterday at practice, as we were doing the first run-through of the section with the lion and dragon, it just slipped out of my hand.

In that moment, it felt like everything slowed and full minutes passed as I stared at it, watching it sort of bounce and dance along the top of the drum. I recall my other hand still banging away, but I was no longer consciously thinking about the beat.

When I finally managed to grab it, time corrected and carried on at it's regular pace. The world didn't explode...the dance carried on...there weren't people pointing and laughing (except a few snickers from Sifu Brinker from across the room who, of course, of anyone, witnessed the whole thing).

But this has become a clear example of something I already know.

Mistakes are going to happen. We are going to fail. Things are not going to go as planned. We are going to drop our sticks. Just grab it and keep going.




Having said that, it's not a bad idea to have a contingency plan. I just might keep a spare in my belt going forward. 😉


IHC Numbers To Date
Pushups = 33445
Situps = 33470
Kwan Dao = 752
Tai Chi Short = 778
Sparring = 735
Km's = 1480
AOKs = 976

1 comment: