Friday, January 19, 2024

Both Sides

I’ve been feeling somewhat confused lately.

On one hand I feel like I'm not really covering a variety of content in my training. But on the other, I feel like I've been working really, really hard!

So am I doing well? Or am I struggling but don't really know it?

I find it funny that I can't definitively differentiate between the two. I think this goes to show how closely mastery and mediocrity actually live and how easy it can be to slip out of one and into the other without even realizing.

As I write, I'm starting to wonder if where I'm currently residing actually might be the safest place to be. Fully residing in Mastery is a delusion...because I don't think that's actually possible. Fully in Mediocrity is obviously not where I want to be either.

So maybe walking that line, always conscious of both is the best place to be?

One foot in the Mastery realm, working really hard at some things and recognizing the effort I'm putting forth...and one foot in Mediocrity, aware of the things that aren't quite getting the attention they should but keeping close tabs so that they aren't forgotten altogether.

One doesn't really exist without the other.




IHC Numbers To Date

Pushups = 33385

Situps = 33470

Kwan Dao = 742

Tai Chi Short = 777

Sparring = 725

Km's = 1470

AOKs = 959



1 comment:

  1. Mastery, for me, is defined by my focus. Mediocrity is then defined by my lack of focus. I think of mediocrity as me not being able to see the forest for the trees. While it is impossible, for me, to be exclusively in mastery at everything, I can narrow my focus on one or two things (usually only one) toward mastery while everything else is either in maintenance mode or mediocrity. Mediocrity on the other hand is quite inclusive. It is possible, for me, to have everything in mediocrity at the same time. Not a fun place to be but at the same time it is not an easy place to be aware of. I can reside there for months, years, or a lifetime without even noticing. I have to stay vigilant.

    My focus is always, always, always on mediocrity and eradicating it wherever I find it. If I am always focusing on mediocrity, mastery tends to take care of itself. It does not seem to work the other way around. For me.

    ReplyDelete