Friday, November 4, 2022

What Happens If.....??

As per the recent recommendation that we poke our forms with a stick, and try doing them in different ways, I have so far attempted the following with my hand form.

Eyes closed

I experienced many of the same things that Todai Burke mentioned.  I was off balance and became disoriented with my sense of direction.  I also became hesitant, for obvious reasons such as bumping into something.  I learned that hesitating isn't the same as moving slowly.  At first my focus was still on the external and I was trying to replicate my form how I am able to with my eyes open.  But essentially that's not possible.  So instead I thought, what could I possibly gain with no vision?  So I turned my focus inward.  I paid closer attention to my chi and how it flows and moves when I do my form.  I moved slow and consciously, feeling my energy move in and out and around as I did each technique.  Without vision, I also tried to use my chi to "see" any barriers around me.  Sometimes I was right.  Sometimes I hit the wall.  Either way, it was quite interesting and I will play with this more.

Rotating my start direction between reps 

It's funny how we tend to always face the same way when we are in the same space.  But I was pleasantly surprised with this.  In the past, rotating my start direction would throw me off.  This time, however, it didn't.  I feel that's an indication that the form has become more familiar to me and visual cues are no longer needed, nor are my surroundings a distraction.

With a knife in one hand

The knife was an easier one to incorporate into a hand form since it's small and is used one-handed.  But it was interesting to adjust my strikes for the knife.  Punch to stab.  Knife hand to "knife" hand...lol.

With my stick

This was kind of neat.  The stick is such a balanced weapon so it wasn't too-too difficult to incorporate.  Harder than the knife I found, simply because of the length and that it uses both hands.  With so many kicks in my form I attempted to strike out with my stick at the same time.  I actually found that having both hands stuck to one weapon was helpful at times and made me more conscious of maintaining my center.  I think I tend to let my arms go rogue.

With a Kwan Dao

The Kwan Dao basically took over my form.  It was very interesting trying to figure out how to wield such a large weapon while maintaining flow.  I also became very aware of how important my center and posture are with such a large weapon to throw things off.  And if holding a bigger weapon can throw my stances off, then I would imagine an opponent actually trying to do just that, certainly would be able to.  

I've used a knife and stick so far in my IHC forms.  The knife can only turn in your hand when you want it to.  If the stick rotates in your hand, it doesn't matter as there is no edge or blade to be cognizant of.  The Kwan Dao is tricky because as you move, the stick rotates and the blade will turn.  And soon enough you realize, when you go to strike, that the blade isn't positioned properly.  So this weapon is certainly more complex than anything I've used.  Which if course, means a challenge.  Which I can't seem to turn down.

No comments:

Post a Comment