Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Put Me In Coach

Step 2 of the black belt success cycle is to "Have a plan (and a success coach)".

Although the "coach" part is in brackets, it is a very important detail.

A goal I am currently working towards is improving my spinning back kick.  I have recruited Todai Burke as my success coach, and have met with her a few times to get feedback.  Unfortunately my fall break was filled with company and renovation work in my home.  And I found myself without much space.  Certainly not enough for spinning back kicks.  But without any classes or open training, I didn't feel all that worried about it since we wouldn't be meeting.  And so I left it off my radar.

It later turned out that Todai Burke needed some assistance one day near the end of the break.  And I was happy to help.  When I got to the Kwoon, the heavy bag was pulled out, ready for some spinning back kick work.  I had a brief moment of panic because I hadn't expected it; worried because I hadn't thrown any all week, but when you have a second degree brown belt offering you their time and knowledge, you take it.  Although this was not the main purpose of the meeting, she recognized the opportunity and threw it at me.

Finding the right person to coach you with a goal is an important part of finding success.  It's near impossible to consistently and continuously keep yourself on track with a goal.  A coach is there, not only for the feedback and experience, but to poke and prod; to push and to challenge you in ways you can't for yourself.

And now that I've written this blog, I can clearly see that the goals that I can't seem to get a handle on and seem to be failing at, are also the ones that I haven't made the effort to find a coach for.  Coincidence?  Doubtful.


"One way [to mastery] is to surround yourself with friends who ask more of you than you do.  Didn't some of your best teachers, coaches, parents, etc?" - Stewart Emery

No comments:

Post a Comment