Wednesday, May 18, 2022

I AM Listening

I was really angry with both of my kids this morning.  Actually, I shouldn't say angry.  I wanted to be angry.  But if I'm honest, I was more hurt by some of their recent actions.  It's probably odd to say that my feelings were hurt by two children, but nonetheless, they were.  And I began my day in sadness.

As I drove to work, I had to slow down to let a young fox cross my path.  He darted out of the adjacent trees, not bothering for a moment to look for danger.  Just went for it, not a care in his mind...solely focused on the adventure in front of him.  

Not a minute later I had to stop altogether as two young deer stared at me curiously from the middle of the road.  They took their time crossing...they did not run...they didn't even walk quickly...it was lollygagging really.  As they approached a fence, they seemed to look at it curiously.  The first literally bounced right over.  I didn't even see him bend his legs at all.  The second followed effortlessly.  True power of the instep right there.  I don't think failure even crossed their minds.  And they were on their way.

Again, a few minutes later, I had the strangest impression that a young robin was racing me. He was right beside me, flying straight and fast along the road.  I swear he winked and laughed with excitement.  And this lasted for several seconds.  Much longer than I would consider a coincidence.  And enough that I finally received the message.

Ok I get it.  My children are young yet.  Their spirits are free....as they should be.  Their minds absent of too much responsibility or the anxiety that often comes with it....as they should be.  Their actions are not intended to harm or hurt.  They are on an adventure, making all kinds of errors in judgment, but still learning, a little at a time, along the way.

I AM listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment