Monday, February 21, 2022

Stick Dancing

I had so much fun yesterday morning with my training.  I don’t normally play music when I train.  I’m the type that enjoys the quiet.  It’s also normally very early and I don’t want to wake the rest of the household up.  But yesterday, just as I was about to start Stick, a sweet tune came on.  Without even making the decision on a conscious level, I found myself doing my form to the beat.  And what a blast.  I couldn’t help smile and laugh as I was essentially dancing with my weapon.  At one point it even became a microphone.

Having a weapon in your hand tends to emphasize what you need to work on.  Adding yet another dimension of music can take that even further.  I was able to determine some areas where I am struggling with my phrasing and flow.  I became aware of some areas that feel better going quicker versus slower, and vice versa.  It also really hi-lighted where I am struggling with my transitions.  This sudden attempt to move in a different manner became a really great learning opportunity.

And the song that inspired this learning moment??  “I’ll Take You There”, by The Staple Singers. 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment