Wednesday, June 2, 2021

What Is Reasonable?

I've been feeling a real lack of confidence as of late.  I usually try to push through and "ignore" this kind of thing and usually it passes just as quickly as it appeared.  But it's been a bit now so I'm thinking it's time to put it in writing and address it.

To be clear...this is really just about my physical skill.

My engagement level is high.

My personal goals are going well.

My IHC numbers are on par.

My training is consistent.

But I feel that my physical progress has plateaued.  Maybe not "plateaued", per say....but I'm putting in a significant amount of effort, and am not seeing the results I would expect.  And it's wearing on my confidence.

Although maybe I touched on something above.  Maybe "the results I would expect" aren't reasonable. 

But then that begs the question, what IS reasonable?

2 comments:

  1. Growth and improvement is always exponential at the beginning of the kung fu journey. The rest of your journey is going to be a series of climbs and plateaus with a few valleys when you fight an injury or motivation. This phenomena is why we have a belt system in place. Improvement is so incremental that it can be difficult to objectively assess yourself. Getting recognized by your instructors goes a long way to keep the confidence sappers at bay.

    BTW, you just earned your Red Stripe. Why do you think you earned that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should have read: "Growth and improvement ARE always exponential" . Sorry, I should have proof read before I published.

    ReplyDelete