Monday, June 21, 2021

That's Not A Knife....This Is A Knife...

As part of my training with the knife, Master Wieczerza has instructed that I learn the Talon form with both a fixed blade and a folding blade.  A few weeks ago I received the folding blades that she recommended I get.  They are exactly the same except one is a trainer, which I will use while training so I don't inadvertently maim myself.  The other is very real, very sharp and somewhat intimidating.  But I'll tell you more about that one in another blog.

I'm having 2 challenges with the folding knfe.

Firstly, it's much smaller than the wooden blade I've been using for the past (almost) 5 months.  It's also much lighter.  It doesn't feel the same in my hand, nor can I hold it the same way.  I also can't release it the same way in the portions where I need to change my grip.  These transitions have become very slow and methodical once again.  Yet in the sections that require a single continuous grip, the blade just seems to fly.  It's so much lighter it's as if I don't even have anything in my hand.  It can seem almost invisible at times, except for the flash of the blade.

The other challenge is with the folding feature itself.  When using a folding blade, the form has portions that require me to open and close the blade, as well as open and close it one-handed.  These parts are intended to be quick and seamless.  Currently they are not.  And if not for the trainer, I'd have already lost some fingers.

I'll get there, I know.  Repetition and practice.  And when I do get there, more repetition and practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment