Wednesday, November 18, 2020

The Power of 1000


During my recent testing, Sifu Hayes and I discussed how a kick needs to have a release of energy at completion.   Specifically, we were discussing the front thrust kick.  His feedback was that I wasn’t fully doing that.  He indicated that I was almost there, but needed to hold that last moment of my kick just a millisecond more to make that happen. 

Wouldn’t you know it, the very next day Mr. Bjorkquist posted the “1000 Front Thrust Kick Challenge”. 

This challenge came at just the right time with Sifu Hayes’ feedback fresh in my mind.  With each kick I focused on what he said and I realized exactly what he was talking about.  Allowing my kick to completely "finish", and not pulling back to a crane before that moment, really made a huge difference.  I was no longer just throwing kicks....I was delivering kicks....if that makes any sense.  Everything felt much more in control with the one "small" adjustment.  Everything I was doing seemed to be more complete and everything seemed to be fully engaged.  Prior to this, I now realize that finishing my kick before it was truly finished was impeding my stability, strength and control by just that little bit.  My front thrust is feeling really good after this challenge. 

I think I’m going to try this with the Side Heel.  I had worked on my side heel as a goal for about 4 months.  Not long ago I decided to table it for a bit and come back to it later with a fresh mind, because I felt my progress was starting to stagnate.  I think maybe this type of challenge is the fresh approach I need.  


Side note:  Does anyone else feel like things are posted, comments are made, or lessons include things that seem to be directed specifically at you at exactly the right time?? Lol.  I feel like this happens to me alot.

1 comment:

  1. On your side note - yes this does happen to you a lot. This is because you are fully engaged. When a person is fully engaged, everything is a lesson. You tend to be in the right place at the right time no matter where you are and no matter what the clock on the wall says.

    ReplyDelete