Sunday, July 26, 2020

Tips and Tricks from a White Belt - Side Heel

This particular blog entry is essentially just a list of what I've learned about the Side Heel over the last couple of weeks.  These points are either feedback from a Sifu, inspiration from a fellow student or just from myself during my many trials and errors.  All of these have played a huge part in my attempt at improving this kick at a White Belt level.

1.  Focus on directing my energy to the small part of my heel that I will actually make impact with.  The heel should be the furthest thing out as well as the highest part of the foot.

2.  The pivot and the kick happen simultaneously.

3.  The base foot should pivot at least 90 degrees, if not more.  

4.   Keep the upper body as erect as possible to remain over the base leg.  Only lean as needed for counter balance.

5.  Keep my guards up and on the same side as my kick.

6.  "Blade walk" around the house.  It really does reinforce the feeling to become more natural.

7.  Start by kicking low.  Increase the height incrementally as stability and technique improve.

8.  Incorporate both static and dynamic stretching/flexibility exercises. 

9.   Daily repetition. 

10.  Remain clear about my intent. 

I’ve started to see some improvement, but by no means do I have it all figured out.  And I definitely don't think that what I have learned so far will be the magical solution for everybody else.  But I do know it always helps me to break things down before I put them back together. And if this list helps anyone else even just a little....even better.  🙂


1 comment: