Wednesday, July 22, 2020

It Will Happen When It Happens

Wuxin and Wu Wei.  Beautiful ideals and so very appealing.

In trying to wrap my head around these ideals, I made a connection.  I realized I have actually experienced these in the past.  I'm sure many of us have, without even realizing it had a name.  

I used to play baseball.  And I recall having games where everything just went my way.  Flawless plays without a thought.  Perfect at bats where the ball seemed to come in slow motion and everything just connected perfectly.  I was so at ease and confident.  I knew where to go and what to do without having to think about it.....I could read the play before it happened.....I was "in the zone".

I would then, at times, find myself chasing this feeling.  But the more I chased it, the less it happened.  The more I obsessed, the worse the outcome.

I suppose this would make sense now that I know the definitions of Wuxin and Wu Wei.  The more you're thinking about it...the fuller your mind gets....and suddenly your mindset becomes the complete opposite of the "no mind" you were initially trying to achieve.  The more you force it....the less "effortless" it becomes.  

These are all "big thinking" concepts and they sort of make my mind spin.  It's important to know what they are and what they mean.  And it's important to know they are real and attainable and to recognize when they happen.  But I need to accept that they are not things that can be forced.  Whatever I am working on, whatever I am trying to accomplish, I need to celebrate the moments of success, learn from the moments of failure, and then release both from my mind (I don't mean forget...more like acknowledge and carry on) so I can continue towards my goals with clear resolve.

Train hard, focus, listen and trust the process.....Wuxin and Wu Wei will happen.

1 comment:

  1. The paradox of these ideals is exactly as you have outlined - the more you think about them, the further you are from achieving the ideal. The trick is to take stock and ask yourself those two important questions: Where am I? What am I doing?

    These mindful tools to pull you into the present make you aware of the hamster wheel we tend to find ourselves on. The awareness pulls us off so that we can begin anew. The more you do this, the less you need to do it. Yet another paradox.

    ReplyDelete