Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Unexpected Ripple Effect

In last night's class, as we worked on Lao Gar, Sihing Lindstrom noticed that I was slightly off-center with one of my stances. Not a huge deal, just something to correct. During the next rep, I made sure to fix that alignment and BAM!...another minor tweak along the way to mastery.

BUT WAIT! As we held that pose (we were going step by step at this point) he noticed that my hand positioning was totally wrong! Instead of my right arm up with a forearm block and my left striking out with a palm heel, I was opposite! What the heck? Have I been doing it wrong all along? I find it odd that nobody would have pointed it out by now if that was the case. Plus, I know what the positioning is supposed to be. I've seen it. Taught it even!! Hadn't I?? But suddenly I was feeling vey confused. So I tried to figure out last night what my "norm" was and I found that I just couldn't. They both felt fine....probably because I was overanalyzing by that point. And I found myself thinking,

"I wonder if that correction to my stance has caused a glitch down the line?"

Well, it just so happens that I try and take progress videos of all of my forms now and again. And I was able to look back to find my answer. In all the past videos I was, in fact, doing it correctly. So the only thing I can think of is that tweak to my stance caused an unexpected ripple effect. And I find that very interesting. It's dawned on me suddenly that it could be beneficial to have my forms reviewed in full, and in person, once in a while to ensure that I haven't just suddenly made something up along the way without even realizing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment