Friday, December 3, 2021

My Blogging Strategies

Sifu Csillag suggested in our meeting last night that we share our process when it comes to blogging.  I'm not sure I really have a specific step-by-step process, but I do have some different strategies...so here they are.

  • I have a notebook that I bring to meetings to jot down anything that comes to mind during the discussions.  Sometimes these things end up being questions I ask in my 1-on-1s and sometimes they find their way into my blogs.  Sometimes both.
  • I will use the "Notes" app on my phone in the same manner if it's more convenient.  Right after a class for instance.
  • I have a large whiteboard in my training area as well.  Again, I will use this if it's more convenient.
  • Every so often I compile all of these notes and ideas into a DRAFT blog (I use Blogger.com, but Word or a handwritten journal does the same thing).  This DRAFT blog currently contains about 12 partially started blogs, key words and/or ideas.  The reason I keep all of these things in one document to start with is because I often find that some of these things are related and they end up joining together (I do alot of cutting and pasting).  This also helps me keep all of my preliminary ideas in one place so that I don't accidentally lose one of them.
  • Once I have formulated a decent start to a topic within my DRAFT, I will copy/paste that into it's own posting and continue to develop it there.
  • I try to stay away from any kind of "deadline" and just write when the spirit moves me (when at all possible between work and kids).  As with any task, it's best not to leave it until the last moment.  Writing under pressure rarely works for me.
  • If I don't feel like staring at a computer screen, I will dictate my thoughts verbally to my phone (using the microphone in the NOTES app).   It's a good way to get thoughts "on paper" that can be edited later.  This actually just sparked an alternative way to blog...with just an audio file.  Like a podcast (I think there are video podcasts as well, but I believe audio alone is more common).
  • I try not to force a blog.  Those ones never turn out.  Sometimes a topic that I start will continue to completion at that same time.  Sometimes a topic is started, but develops over weeks or even months.  Another reason for the DRAFT.
  • I initially just write.  Much of it is incomplete and often incoherent.  Most are just random sentences and thoughts.  But I worry about editing and putting it all together later.
  • I don't worry about long or short, I just write.  When proofreading, I will delete extraneous or duplicated information or add more detail.
  • I always edit and proof read for errors, grammar and spelling.  I don't catch it all, but I do catch most.
  • I try to be descriptive for the reader, but my main goal is that my future self will understand it.
  • I write what's on my mind even if I think it may not really be Kung Fu related.  It's all relevant to my journey.
  • I will scroll through my blogs every so often and re-read the ones that seem to be relevant again.  Sometimes this sparks further ideas or insight.
  • Every once in a while I will take the time to read the old blogs of the Sifus or current/past team-mates.  These date back a long ways and there is alot of content.  They say that a great way to develop writing is to read more.
  • I write about everything, even if it might be really personal.  I have several finished blogs that I have never officially published, but that I wrote regardless.  They are still there for me and have provided valuable reflection.  Sharing is an important part of the process, but there will always be things I'm hesitant to put out there for everyone to see.  Maybe one day.  But even if I don't intend to share it, I still write it for me.  There are some that I've shared privately if I felt that I needed some feedback and perspective.
Blogging has been the most valuable tool in my arsenal.  It's not always easy, but the effort is well worth it.  It is the constant that continuously pushes me forward and keeps me engaged with my fellow students and instructors.

No comments:

Post a Comment