Saturday, July 13, 2024

Injured But Still Learning

Since I’ve been dealing with an injury the past couple weeks, I’ve shifted my focus to a couple different things not requiring the ol’ quad muscles at 100%.

The first is the initial move in Long, with the tiger strike and thrust punch.  These two techniques have always felt really awkward “side-by-side”. I say “side-by-side” because I know they are moving at the same time, but are completely separate techniques.   I’ve worked on driving the tiger with my hips as I turn into my cat.  But my punch tends to come out at a curve as well, kind of following the path of the tiger claw, rather than its own trajectory.  So right now I’m working on the tiger strike as a circular motion and the punch as linear.  It makes sense as an application, but I still can’t quite get it right in the form.  This move sort of reminds me of the “knife/punch/open roundhouse/spinning back kick” in DMH2.  These techniques also go from circular to linear.  Different techniques following different trajectories, yet flowing together.  I just haven’t quite been able to make these things click in Long yet, but I will continue exploring.

The other thing I focussed on this week was getting centred and staying centred in my forms, even when not able to get as deep into my stances as I normally would.  This was interesting because my initial thoughts were that I simply wouldn’t be able to ground myself with my injury.  But I didn’t feel that was the case.  I have no idea what I looked like from an outside view, but I felt surprisingly good.  Again, this is something that will need more time to explore, but so far I’m finding it very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment